Saturday, April 12, 2008

Vegan Pho--My New Favorite Meal

Man, am I ever glad I had Vietnamese food for lunch one day last week--it got me thinking about how much I wanted a big bowl of pho. Tragically, it's hard to come by vegan pho in Ann Arbor (it's at times like this, Chicago, that I miss you most!), but I didn't let that faze me. Instead, I combined the potent forces of my ingenuity and the internet and came up with my own recipe. And guess what? I think it was the best pho I ever had!

Vegan Pho Broth
Ingredients:
6 shallots, peeled and halved
2 2-inch chunks of ginger, halved
8 cloves garlic, halved
2 3-inch cinnamon sticks
2 pods star anise
2 bay leaves
4 whole cloves
1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed and outermost layer discarded, chopped
8 cups beef-flavor veggie stock (like Better Than Boullion)
3 Tbsp. soy sauce

Directions:
Stick the cloves into the shallots. Place the shallots, garlic, star anise, and cinnamon sticks onto a foil-lined cookie sheet and broil until charred. While broiling, char ginger pieces over a stovertop burner (you can do this in a skillet if you have an electric stove). I speared mine on a long knife with a plastic handle and held the pieces in the flame until visibly charred.

Place charred ginger, shallots, garlic, cinnamon and anise into a stockpot. Add lemongrass, stock, soy sauce and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, at least 25 minutes.


Vegan Pho
Ingredients:
Pho broth (see above)
Roasted unsalted peanuts (about 1/2 cup)
Fresh mint
Fresh basil
Fresh cilantro
Fresh bean sprouts
1 carrot, shredded with vegetable peeler
1 lime, sliced into wedges
Sugar-snap pea pods (you could also use napa cabbage, broccoli, etc.)
1 package udon noodles (I used Eden brown rice udon noodles)
2 scallions, finely chopped
grilled seitan (optional, but really good!)

Directions:
If you want to make the seitan: slice seitan thinly. Place slices in a single layer on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle with toasted sesame oil and soy sauce. Broil several minutes, flipping halfway through, till both sides of seitan are cooked to your liking (but not burnt).

Pulse peanuts in food processor till coarsely chopped. Cook udon noodles. On a large plate or tray, arrange fresh basil leaves, fresh mint leaves, fresh cilantro leaves, bean sprouts, shredded carrot and lime slices in attractive piles.

Divide udon noodles among bowls. Ladle strained broth over noodles; top with seitan, chopped scallions and chopped peanuts (use as much or as little as you like). Serve alongside tray of fresh herbs and veggies. When you sit down to eat, add as many fresh herbs and veggies as you like to your bowl of hot broth; squeeze fresh lime over your assemblage. If you want, you can add chile sauce, hoisin sauce, or sprinkle with rice vinegar. Pho is fun because everyone at the table can tailor their bowl to their own taste!

I promise you won't regret trying out this recipe. It's so, so awesome! I'm really proud of it, actually. If you do make it, please leave a comment to let me know what you think!

2 comments:

Julia said...

I wish to have my own pho party

Anonymous said...

pho shizzle!