Sunday, May 4, 2008

Chocolate Stout Cupcakes

These are probably some of the most brutal cupcakes yet. This is less because of the theoretical presence of alcohol and more because of their insanely dark richness.

These are another winner from Isa's Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. They call for just a little bit of stout, which by virtue of its bubbliness somehow procludes the need for soy yogurt or other faux-egg binders. Naturally, I recommend that you get yourself a six pack of something good so you can drink it before/during/after cupcake preparation.

I used Sierra Nevada's stout, which is delicious even when used as a frosty beverage. It worked nicely in this recipe, but you could surely use any variety. Just don't get lazy and use that old can of Black Label from the back of your fridge - it must be stout!




Remember, whenever you're pouring beer into a measuring cup, to make sure to put some tilt on it and pour slowly - otherwise you will end up with nothing but 1/3 cup of foam. Naturally I was impatient and screwed this up. Here's how it'll look when you get it right.



I also went for alkali processed cocoa for this recipe (also called Dutch processed cocoa), which is super dark and rich. Combined with the dark beer, this gave the cupcakes an impressively swarthy appearance, each baking up like a sugary little black hole. They were also, I should mention, EXTREMELY TASTY.



The recipe calls for a simple crumb topping, which was excellent. Still, I think I'd make them with goopy chocolate frosting next time. They are so intense that you might as well go all the way and hold nothing back. As if to emphasize this point, Chris Riggs - a guitarist in a real live metal band - can be seen enjoying a brutal cupcake below.



The cupcake has itself been brutalized.



Update: I tried these again with the cupcake book's recipe for chocolate buttercream frosting (some earth balance and vegan shortening, with cocoa, a little vanilla extract and soymilk, and a ton of powdered sugar). The result was ridiculously rich and chocolatey but not, I am told by my intrepid cupcake tasters, over the top. To be recommended!

1 comment:

Hanson Records said...

I think I rememeber these...and I want MORE!
-Dillo