Saturday, February 21, 2009

Arugula-Walnut Pesto with Peas and Faux Chicken

I just got this adorable baby food processor. I really should've taken a picture of it cause it's so damn cute. But anyway, this gadget was on my mind as I was coming home from work the other night, and I decided I had to make pesto. I didn't feel like spending tons of money on a huge bunch of basil and hunting down pine nuts, but I already had arugula and walnuts at home. I added a some peas for veggie flavor and sauteed Morning Star chik'n strips for protein.



This should make enough for maybe 3 bowls of pasta, or you could also use it as a sandwich spread, mix it into scrambled eggs, etc.

Ingredients

1/4 cup walnuts
Maybe half a bag of arugula
Plenty of olive oil on hand (maybe up to 1/4 cup)
Maybe 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese*
Salt and (lots of) pepper
Optional: peas and sauteed fake chicken strips, cut into small pieces

*You can leave this out for vegan pesto, but you may want to add something else for flavor. Not sure what; maybe Erica can weigh in on this.)

Directions

Sorry the measurements are so imprecise, but pesto is really all about feel. You'll have to see for yourself what amounts work for you, and taste it frequently. Grind the walnuts for a bit, then start adding arugula. If you're using a little baby processor like me, you'll only be able to add a small amount at a time, which is okay. Pour in some oil when you add the arugula. Process it smooth and add more, adding a little more oil when needed. When you've got the amount you want and the texture and taste are good, add the cheese and some salt and pepper. You may need to add a little more oil.

When it's ready, toss your pasta and optional fixins in. Voila.

3 comments:

M.O. said...

I was just having a conversation with Anna Brunner and Linda Gates about this! I'm sending them this post.

Julia said...

I love you for commenting.

Julia said...

I just tried some leftovers of this mashed with a can of white beans as a dip/spread and it worked really well. Add a little extra salt, pepper, and lemon juice and serve with toasted baguette slices and crudites.